How to choose your soil?
How to choose your soil?Substrate of organic culture, the compost is one of the essential of the gardener. If plants can grow without it, it can be of great help in their development and development. However, between the different mentions on the bags and the extremely variable prices, it's difficult to find your way around the soil department of a garden center ... Here is our user guide to choose the one you need.
Identify your need
Depending on the use you intend to make, the choice of soil will be different. Choosing your soil well therefore begins by identifying its need: for what type of plants do you intend to use it? Will you use it to plant, sow, transplant or repot? Once you have answered this question, you can choose from the following categories.
Soils for plantingAmong the substrates used at the time of planting, you will have the choice between the following potting soils:
- Mainly composed of composted materials such as pine bark, the universal potting soil is intended for standard use. If it is supposed to be suitable for all uses, it does not succeed in all plants because some of them have particular needs to be satisfied. In addition, universal soil is often criticized for being less rich in nutrients than horticultural soil. Of good quality, it will nevertheless be suitable for planting trees and shrubs outside, or for the amendment of a garden soil;
- Often a pledge of better quality and composed of peat, bark and organic matter such as manure or algae, horticultural potting soil is used inside and outside, for growing in pots as for growing in open ground. It is particularly suitable for planting flowers and plants in the vegetable patch, but not for plants that require special treatment;
- Heather earth, composed either of pure forest heather earth, or a mixture of peat and pine bark. Whatever their composition, the common point of these soils is their acidity, which is particularly suitable for acidophilic plants such as azaleas, rhododendrons, hydrangeas ... And of course the heather, very greedy in acid organic amendment;
- The special soil for cacti plants is partly composed of sand, which is well suited to cacti and succulents since the latter are used to growing in dry and rather poor soils;
- Requiring special attention, orchids also have their soil: the soil for orchids, whose composition is rich in bark - often mixed with peat or coconut fibers -, pozzolan or perlite which gives a substrate very airy;
- Rich in clay and nutrients, citrus potting soil has the advantage of retaining water well while remaining light. Ideal for helping your orange or lemon trees in pots - which cannot take root like in the ground - to develop.
The soil for sowing, cutting and transplanting
Generally composed of peat, perlite or vermiculite, sand, and possibly a little fertilizer, the special sowing, cutting and transplanting potting soils are often light and healthy. They therefore constitute an ideal substrate for the success of your sowing - the seed finding in organic matter all that it needs to germinate without being victim of the proliferation of bacteria.
It is generally used for sowing flowers in pots, planters or terrines, but is also suitable for sowing vegetables in the ground. It also accompanies very well in their development the new plants from cuttings, and the growth of seedlings transplanted in pots.
The potting soil
Composed of topsoil, blond and / or brown peat, bark, compost, vegetable fibers and sometimes fertilizer, potting soil can be a complement to universal soil to ensure your potted plants better rooting and guarantee them a good recovery. Light and airy, it also participates in the management of their watering: they absorb and store water and then release it when necessary.
It is just as suitable for flowering plants such as gardenias, hibiscus, or cyclamen, as for green plants such as ficus, philodendrons, yuccas ... and many more!
Ensure the good quality of my soil
To buy a good quality potting soil, it is better to read its composition on the label: as for a large surface consumer product, this ensures that the different materials contained in the chosen potting soil are suitable for the use that we want to do it. According to the latter, it will be necessary to be attentive to the quantity of fertilizer contained in the soil, its rate of organic matter, its capacity of water retention, its pH, etc.
At Multitanks, we have a range of potting soil. Contact us for more information or visit our site to find the items you need.